Sustainable San Mateo County is primarily a volunteer-run organization with a full-time Executive Director and part-time Administrator and Program Manager leading a team of more than 50 volunteers. We are always on the look out for talented and motivated volunteers who want to help maintain and improve our quality of life in San Mateo County.
SSMC is focused on building capacity to better support our core programs, the Indicators Report and the Sustainability and Green Building Awards, developing our new initiative, Pathways to Sustainable Communities, and exploring new ways to share our message with local businesses, leaders and community members. We are seeking motivated, friendly and creative individuals to support our efforts through part-time, volunteer positions. Work can generally be done remotely on your own time.
Ideal candidates have…
- A passion for sustainability and commitment to Sustainable San Mateo County’s goals
- Excellent communication skills and are self-directed problem solvers
We invite you to contribute to SSMC through committee participation or a volunteer position.
Great for experienced professionals that want to give back.
- Help oversee and manage the production of the Indicators for a Sustainable San Mateo County Report as our flagship program transforms into a 21st century tool for change
- Meets monthly for 1.5 hours on the 2nd Thursday of month, 12-1:30 PM
- Contribute expertise in sustainability to our newest initiative, Pathways to Sustainable Communities. Oversee and manage report development, recommend resources for further research, and review and provide input on report content.
- Meeting schedule depends on the availability of committee members, typically a weekday between 10am and 5pm
- Have a great time planning the county’s biggest sustainability party: our annual Awards Event!
- Meets 1-2 times per month from August – April for 1.5 hours (generally Tuesday evenings from 5:30-7 PM. First meeting for 2018 event will be August 8, 2017).
Governance Committee – Open to members only.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on endorsements and advocacy positions; also addresses board and organizational policies.
- Meets monthly on the 2nd Wednesday 10:30-12
- Addresses communications strategy and long-term outreach projects.
- Meets virtually monthly on the 2nd Wednesday 9-10 AM
Fund Development Committee
- Suggests and works to implement fundraising strategies to build reliable and stable financial support for SSMC’s work throughout the year.
- Meets monthly on the 1st Wednesday at 6:00 PM.
Great for people that want to work independently, virtually and/or on their own time.
Indicators Research Assistant
- A great opportunity to showcase your research and writing skills!
- Conduct and present research on one of the more than 40 indicators for our report
- View the full job description and qualifications: Indicators Research Assistant
Pathways Research Assistant
- Conduct research and interviews to help share success stories and build the path to sustainable communities!
- View the full job description and qualifications: Pathways Research Assistant
Data Visualization Volunteer
- Use Tableau Public to generate charts, graphs, and tables on sustainability indicators
- View the full job description and qualifications: Data Visualization Volunteer
- Promote SSMC’s mission by managing our social media accounts, crafting email newsletters, and keeping our Sustainable Events Calendar full
- View the full job description and qualifications: Communications Volunteer
Graphic Designer Volunteer
- Showcase your design skills while promoting local sustainability through infographics, event flyers, and other mediums
- View the full job description and qualifications: Graphic Design Volunteer
- Write “Solutions” articles to inform the community about sustainability! See existing content here and submit your ideas along with writing samples to contact below.
There are many ways to get involved with SSMC as a volunteer. If you have other ideas or expertise you would like to apply to our mission, we are eager to hear them.
If you would like to find our more about volunteer opportunities contact:
[adrienne (at) sustainablesanmateo (dot) org]