Sustainable San Mateo County is primarily a volunteer-run organization with a part-time Executive Director, Administrator, and Program Manager leading a team of more than 50 volunteers. We are always on the look out for talented and motivated volunteers who want to help maintain and improve our quality of life in San Mateo County.
Great for experienced professionals that want to give back.
- Discuss sustainability issues impacting the region and support research for the Indicators for a Sustainable San Mateo County Report, our flagship program and a 21st century tool for change.
- Meets monthly for 1.5 hours at a time determined by the committee.
- Contribute expertise in sustainability to our newest initiative, Pathways to Sustainable Communities. Oversee and manage report development, recommend resources for further research, and review and provide input on report content.
- Meeting schedule depends on the availability of committee members, typically a weekday between 10am and 5pm.
- Have a great time planning the county’s biggest sustainability party: our annual Awards Event!
- Meets 1-2 times per month from August – April for 1.5 hours (generally Tuesday evenings from 5:30-7 PM. First meeting for 2018 event will be August 8, 2017).
Policy Committee – Open to members only.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on endorsements and advocacy positions; also addresses board and organizational policies.
- Meets monthly on the 2nd Wednesday 10:30-12am.
- Addresses communications strategy and long-term outreach projects.
- Meeting time at mutually convenient time.
Fund Development Committee
- Suggests and works to implement fundraising strategies to build reliable and stable financial support for SSMC’s work throughout the year.
- Meets monthly on the 1st Wednesday at 6:00pm.
Great for people that want to work independently, virtually and/or on their own time.
Pathways Research Volunteer
- Conduct research and interviews to help share success stories and build the path to sustainable communities!
- View the full job description and qualifications: Pathways Research Volunteer
Indicators Research Volunteer
- A great opportunity to showcase your research and writing skills!
- Conduct and present research on one of the more than 40 indicators for our report
- View the full job description and qualifications: Indicators Research Volunteer
Data Visualization Volunteer
- Use Tableau Public to generate charts, graphs, and tables on sustainability indicators
- View the full job description and qualifications: Data Visualization Volunteer
Graphic Designer Volunteer
- Showcase your design skills while promoting local sustainability through infographics, event flyers, and other mediums
- View the full job description and qualifications: Graphic Design Volunteer
- Write “Solutions” articles to inform the community about sustainability! See existing content here and submit your ideas along with writing samples to contact below.
- Promote SSMC’s mission by managing our social media accounts, crafting email newsletters, and keeping our Sustainable Events Calendar full
- View the full job description and qualifications: Communications Volunteer
There are many ways to get involved with SSMC as a volunteer. If you have other ideas or expertise you would like to apply to our mission, we are eager to hear them.
If you would like to find our more about volunteer opportunities contact us:
[advocate (at) sustainablesanmateo (dot) org]