Sustainable San Mateo County is primarily a volunteer-run organization with 1 full-time and 1 contract staff and more than 50 volunteers. We are always on the look out for talented and motivated volunteers who want to help maintain and improve our quality of life in San Mateo County.
SSMC is focused on building capacity to better support our core programs, the Indicators Report and the Sustainability and Green Building Awards, while exploring new ways to share our message with local businesses, leaders and community members. We are seeking motivated, friendly and creative individuals to support our efforts through part-time, volunteer positions. Work can generally be done remotely on your own time.
Ideal candidates have…
- A passion for sustainability and commitment to Sustainable San Mateo County’s goals
- Excellent communication skills and are self-directed problem solvers
We invite you to join one of our many volunteer or intern positions:
Research Assistant – Perfect for data geeks and policy wonks!
- A great opportunity to showcase your research and writing skills!
- Conduct and present research on one of the more than 40 indicators for our report
- Wide range of topics on economic, environmental and social issues; research guides provided
- View the full job description and qualifications: Indicators Research Assistant
Data Visualization Intern
- Receive training in SSMC style guides and data visualization production using Tableau Public.
- Generate charts, graphs, and tables that visually represent updated annual data on sustainability indicators for use on the website and in print.
- Innovate current format of data visualizations to enhance quality and clarity.
- View the full job description and qualifications: Data Visualization Intern
- Assist with strategy and implementation of communications for SSMC’s programs and events
- Manage our social media accounts, craft email newsletters, and keep our Sustainable Events Calendar full
- View the full job description and qualifications: Communications Intern
- Multiple positions with subsets of key responsibilities listed in full description may be considered
Indicators Committee – Shape the future of San Mateo County!
- Help oversee and manage the production of the Indicators for a Sustainable San Mateo County Report as our flagship program transforms into a 21st century tool for change
- Meets monthly for 1.5 hours on the 2nd Thursday of month, 12-1:30 PM
Awards Committee – Have a great time planning a party!
- Coordinate all aspects of our annual Awards Event in the spring with hundreds of attendees
- Meets 1-2 times per month from August – April for 1.5 hours (generally Tuesday evenings from 5:30-7 PM. Next meeting August 9, 2016).
- Committee members take turns bringing wine and snacks to these lively meetings!
Governance Committee – Open to members only.
- Meets monthly on the 2nd Wednesday 10:30-12
- Reviews and makes recommendations on endorsements and advocacy positions.
- Also addresses board and organizational policies.
- Meets virtually monthly on the 2nd Wednesday 9-10 AM
- Addresses communications strategy and long-term outreach projects.
Fund Development Committee – Just getting started, contact us to jump right in
Graphic Designer – Turn Indicators data into engaging & shareable infographics!
- Multiple opportunities—create one or many products depending on your interests and availability
- Flexible, remote work schedule with distinct deadlines and deliverables
Content Providers – Write for our site and inform the community about sustainability!
- Generate new “Solutions” articles. See existing content here and submit your ideas along with writing samples to contact below.
Webmaster – Manage this website!
- View the full job description and qualifications: SSMC Webmaster
GIS and Data Analysis – Use mapping and data for a good cause
- Collaborate with our Indicators Report team on our 19th annual report, researching trends related to our key indicator: water
- Use your skill set to conduct analysis and create visualizations, including graphs, tables, and maps
- View the full job description and qualifications: SSMC GIS/Data Intern
Human Resources & Administration – Pitch in around our San Mateo office!
- Help meet our strategic plan goals! Assist with development and documentation of robust organizational policies and procedures
- View the full job description and qualifications: SSMC HR Intern
There are many ways to get involved with SSMC as a volunteer. If you have other ideas or expertise you would like to apply to our mission, we are eager to hear them.
If you would like to find our more about volunteer opportunities contact:
[adrienne (at) sustainablesanmateo (dot) org]